Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What the heck is a 'widdershins?'

'Widdershins' means counter-clockwise or moving towards the left in a circle, with attendant meanings of 'unlucky.' It's a movement in the opposite direction of the sun. When I finally put items on my Etsy shop, they will be listed under 'Widdershins Crochet'.

Some of you might be familiar with the term through neo-paganism and wicca, but I'm a follower of neither. I am, however, left-handed, or sinister. In Latin, the word for left is 'sinister', which is where we get the term '(meaning left, unlucky or evil). I thought 'Sinister Crochet' had implications I didn't want to give, as did 'Ham-handed Crochet' (another term sometimes used to mean left, or clumsy). However, as a queer liberal left-handed person of color who crochets and who likes Middle English, I thought 'Widdershins Crochet' was the perfect name for my blog.

No comments: